Friday, November 21, 2008

Here's a "Shout Out!"

I have a part time job at the YMCA, and when someone does something that is noteworthy, we give them “Shout Out”! Basically, it’s a compliment that is broadcasted for everyone to hear. Well, today, I want to give a “Shout Out!” to two very important people in my life (that is an understatement). I was reading in the second chapter of 1 Thessalonians, where Paul, Silas, and Timothy were explaining their ministry to the Thessalonians. Paul says in verse 7, “…we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children…” and in verse 11 & 12, “…we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God…”. Paul did make a generalization of parents in this passage…assuming that all parents live this way…with godly gentleness, encouragement, comfort, and wisdom. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. But, I am so blessed to give my folks a “Shout Out!” because they have truly lived this passage out…my mom is so gentle and loving towards me. I have even told her before, “Mom, I think you love me too much!” I am forever grateful for her kindness and compassion! And, my dad…he is always challenging me to deepen my relationship with the Lord, while reminding me of his love through his comfort and encouragement. As I seek to be a blessing to others, may I follow the example of Paul, Silas, Timothy, my mom, and my dad.
(PS- Thanks, Mom & Dad! And, Happy B-day, Dad!)

1 comment:

Jane said...

Emily,

Thanks for your awesome insight and practical application of God's word! Thanks for the reminder to draw our children to Jesus with love, patience, gentleness and kindness. I needed to hear that today. Sometimes it gets tough. Just a reminder of God's patient, gentle, kind love towards to me who was once a wayward child.

God bless,
Renee
dew4him prayer team