Thursday, May 22, 2008

delightful disciplines

Check out Colossians 2:5. "For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is."

Paul was excited not only to see how solid their faith was, but to see their orderliness. Now, when I think of orderly, I think of clean rooms, tidy kitchens, organized garages, filing cabinets, and manila folders. Is that what Paul means? Is he planning on doing the "white glove" dust check on their furniture? hmmm...probably not. But, let's look at the same verse in a different translation- "...rejoicing to see your GOOD DISCIPLINE and the stability of your faith in Christ." (NASB) The Christian life if full of disciplines... of Bible study, Scripture memorization, church accountability, prayer, ...but I also believe that disciplines can be specific to individuals. For example, how orderly am I in my music ministry? How disciplined am I to make my home a place where guests can feel free to visit...anytime? How orderly am I with the money God has given me through my job?

Orderliness was on the top of Paul's list...is it on the top of ours?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Emily,

I love the way you introduce a verse, explain it and relate it to your life as an example of application. Your blog is such a blessing, I look forward to stopping by to see what you have served up, like an appetizer for the soul.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.