Thursday, May 8, 2008

Jumping out of the Boat...Again...

Now, I'm not a fan of canoe trips, white water rafting, or deep sea fishing...(just ask me about my bamboo rafting experience in Thailand)...so, jumping out of a boat doesn't appeal to me. However, if I was in Peter's shoes, I hope that I would dive in and take the plunge! It seemed like Peter made a habit of jumping out of boats...all for the right reasons, though.
You may be familiar with the story of Peter walking on the water to meet Jesus (Matthew 14:25-32). As the disciples in the boat were trying to figure out who or what was walking on the water, Peter boldly said, "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." Then, Jesus said, "Come." So, what did Peter do? He took the plunge! He wanted to join Jesus wherever, whenever, however! In verse 29 it says, "Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus." He had faith that it was Jesus...he had faith that his Lord would help him.
Well, this was not the only time Peter jumped out...in John 21, we can read of another instance where he took the plunge again. However, this time the story takes place in a completely different context. It was after Jesus' resurrection...which also means that Peter had already denied Jesus three times. I don't know about you, but at that point, I would be feeling extremely guilty, remorseful, and ashamed. It might be hard to even face the Lord after I denied him multiple times. But, check out Peter's response... some of the disciples were out fishing when Jesus came walking on the shore. At first, they didn't recognize Him, but once their eyes were opened, Peter took the plunge! He immediately jumped into the water after His Lord. Peter, again, displayed his faith in the Lord Jesus- he knew of His forgiveness, His cleansing power, and the restoration that could only come through Him. Peter jumped out of the boat...again...to be with Jesus. (BTW- check out the rest of John 21 to see how Christ reinstated and restored Peter)
What about us? Do we trust Christ enough that we would step out onto scary territory- even out of our comfort zones? Do we trust in His cleansing power- that despite what we have done in our pasts, Christ welcomes us with open, loving arms? Do we approach Him boldly in our prayers when we need grace and mercy? (Hebrews 4:16)
You ready to jump? He is there...waiting on us to take the plunge!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

hey Miss Poling Its Catherine, I am so glad that I can read this each day and get something good out of them!! Im proud of you!!

Unknown said...

WOW!!! That was very good, and so timely. I think God is trying to tell me something.

If at first you do not succeed, keep the faith and jump again.

Thanks for sharing what God revealed to you.