Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A 21st century P31 woman

"A wife of noble character who can find?...Her husband has full confidence in her...she brings him good, not harm...she works with eager hands...she gets up while it is still dark, she provides food for her family...she sets about her work vigorously...her arms are strong for her tasks...she extends her hands to the needy...she is clothed with strength and dignity...she speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...she watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness...give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." (excerpts from Proverbs 31:10-31)
This past weekend, I had the blessing of spending time with some of my relatives. I truly enjoyed the chance to be with them and spend time with my dear cousin. While I was there and even after I left, God has challenged me through the life of my aunt. I love my aunt- she is an amazing woman! I don't think I can truly nail down all of my thoughts in a blog entry, but I am going to try to give you a little piece of the challenge that's in my heart as a young woman.
When I was thinking of my aunt, Proverbs 31 immediately popped into my head. As I opened the text and began to read, her name jumped off the pages. After I left their house on Saturday night, one word continually stayed in my mind about my aunt- "selfless". Her life has not been absent of trials. She has been through extremely difficult times...circumstances to which I really don't know how I would respond. But, she ALWAYS has a positive outlook and a smile for those in need. It's not fake- or a mask she wears to hide her true feelings- no...she's real. Her joy comes from the Lord- her peace- her selflessness- her kindness- it's hard to describe in words such a beautiful woman. My aunt is always looking out for others...but not grudgingly or in expectance of something in return. No, she serves others because she truly loves people. And, she sees each individual for who he or she is- a wonderful creation of a GREAT GOD! (Psalm 139) In the midst of hardships, struggles, and arrows, my aunt rises above because she knows Who holds her in the palm of His Hands. Oh, thank You, Lord, for giving me such a beautiful example to follow. In following Proverbs 31:31, I want to praise my aunt at the city gate! Well, I don't really have a city gate- but, I can shout it from a blog! Thank you, Annie- I love you forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a huge compliment to your Aunt. She sounds like an amazing woman and what a legacy she has built for the glory of the Lord. Your blog is a beautiful "praise at the city gates" for you aunt. And what an encouragement to others who aspire to be a proverbs 31 woman. It is great to see biblical promises and reward in "modern day" life. The Bible is relevant and true today as it was while the ink was drying on the papyrus.

Thank you for sharing I needed that encouragement that it does matter and it will come as the Bible says.