Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Memorizing Memories

Just the other day, I was listening to the song, "Your Love is Deep"- a song that is based on Romans 8:38-39, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
A beautiful passage...one that I have committed to memory. Then, I started thinking back of when I memorized it. Now, my memory is definitely not in the "stellar" category- so, what are the chances that I would remember the time and place this Scripture memorization actually occurred? But, surprisingly, I did. As I sat in my car, I started thinking back on the day that I put Romans 8:38-39 in my heart. I could see it clearly in my head...
We were in the backyard of our little ranch house in Ohio...it was a sunny, spring afternoon...we created motions to help us learn the verses...I was in the middle of my high school career...he was a youth leader in our church...wait...he? You may be asking, "Who is 'he'?" That "he" is very significant to this story. I believe he is a big reason why this memorization memory is so embedded in my mind. That "he" is my dad. My dad didn't just tell me to learn Scripture, he didn't just encourage me, he memorized it WITH me. I smile thinking of the quizzes we gave each other, the hand motions we made up to correspond with each word, and his "high 5" after I quoted it perfectly. My dad not only helped me learn a passage about God's unconditional love, he helped me see a glimpse of it.
I want to make more of those memorization memories...who can I encourage? Who can I "high 5"? We all have opportunities to invest in people...let's step out and make a memory...for eternity.

No comments: